It may be summer, but we want you to fall in love with your CPAP machine. After completing your sleep apnea test, we are sure you have a lot of questions about how CPAP machines work and we’re here to help. Better sleep is on the way. Keep reading to learn how you can make the most of your new CPAP machine with these tips from a sleep specialist near you.
How CPAP Machines Work
Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machines are used to treat sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is a condition in which a person’s breathing intermittently stops during sleep. CPAP machines help regulate breathing by supplying pressurized air via a hose and mask. The steady stream of oxygen stops your airway from getting blocked, which helps you sleep interruption-free. The best CPAP machines usually use the following components:
- Your motorized fan draws in air which is then purified and pressurized according to your machine’s calibration.
- Your filter helps trap dust, allergens and other contaminants before the air reaches you.
- Your hose is made of flexible, corrugated plastic and allows air to travel from the machine to you.
- Your mask is connected to the CPAP machine by your hose. Depending on what type of mask you have, it will seal the nostrils, mouth or both so you can receive pressurized air.
- Your headgear is adjustable and allows the mask to fit comfortably and securely on your face, minimizing the likelihood of air leaks.
Getting Used to Your Mask Goes A Long Way
Your mask plays a pivotal role in the overall comfort of your sleep, night in and night out. As a result, we have a few tricks you can use to get accustomed to it.
- Wear your mask during the day. This may sound odd, but doing this will make wearing your mask during the night feel more natural. While you’re watching Netflix or scrolling through TikTok, put your mask on. Before you know it, it will feel like second nature.
- Believe it will help you sleep. Don’t underestimate the power of positivity. Having confidence that your mask will improve your sleep will make a bigger difference than you think. Also try adding a few relaxation exercises to your nighttime routine while putting on your mask. Practice deep breathing so you can relax and prepare for a restful night sleep with the best CPAP machine.
Prepare for Your First Night with Tips from a Sleep Specialist Near You
Getting ready to start using your CPAP machine is exciting because now you can enjoy good sleep. There are a couple of things you can do to increase the comfort level even higher.
- Use a special pillow specifically shaped for your CPAP mask and tubing. When you completed your sleep apnea test, your sleep consultant may have told you that adding items specifically tailored for your needs are not just a mental comfort; they work. A pillow designed to match your CPAP machine is a smart buy.
- Make sure your equipment is clean. Get familiar with the instructions on how to properly clean your mask, headgear and tubing. Also turn on your machine for a few minutes before putting your mask on so air can begin to cycle through it.
Say Goodbye to Sleepless Nights with the Best Sleep Specialists Near You
Are you looking for a sleep specialist near you? At Whitney Sleep, we believe everyone is entitled to good sleep health and happy lives. We provide sleep apnea tests and source the best CPAP machines and accessories to help you sleep peacefully. Our sleep consultants
Our team is happy to answer any questions you may have about scheduling a sleep consultation or treatment options. If you are experiencing chronic sleep deprivation, reach out to us now to make an appointment.